First things first, you need to take a couple hours to purge and clean your workspace. Go through your old file cabinet drawers to remove any unused and expired documents. Once purged, remove your existing files one drawer at a time, returning them in the correct order. There's bound to be some misfiles in there!
Consider how you're arranging your files. Your most regularly used and accessed files need to be located in the drawers closest to your workstation. Your most important and confidential documents need to be in a file cabinet that locks for security.
Don't forget about your stationary items when organizing your space. There's likely loose pens, tape, highlighters, and post it notes scattered throughout your office. Arranging them in a central location is a smart idea!
Assessing Your Needs:
Once your current space is properly arranged, it's time to assess your available room for growth. All to often, interiors become maxed out. When this happens, we tend to find ourselves operating in a rogue fashion that's far from effective. You need at least two available drawers to maintain an organized interior. If you don't have room for growth, it's time to integrate a few office add-ons.
Creating Additional Storage Space:
If it's time to add storage and square footage is tight, consider integrating a wall mount hutch unit. They don't waste valuable floor space! With a wall hutch you'll be creating a ton of extra organizing potential.
Traditional metal file cabinets will always have their place. That said, there area alternative filing and organizing solutions on the market that will actually enhance corporate appeal. You can't go wrong with a multi-stor cabinet from a brand like Global Total Office. They feature a variety of organizing drawers that can accommodate everything from jackets to files.
If you purchased your furniture recently, it likely came from a full service collection that features matching products for organizing. Brands like Mayline offer an array of popular lines that include bookcases, desk side pedestals, storage cabinets, and much more.
Popular Storage Products of 2017:
- Stackable File Cabinets: The ability to stack cabinets is really cool and effective. Stackable modular filing solutions from brands like Global are incredibly popular in 2017
- Executive Wall Cabinets: If you're looking to improve storage potential while creating an upscale vibe with your interior, an executive style wall cabinet is the way to go!
- Mobile Desk Pedestals: With mobile file and stationary pedestals you'll be able to utilize the space underneath your desk and credenza. Many of today's pedestals feature cushioned tops that double and seats for guests.
- Hutch Units: As previously mentioned, when floor space is tight wall mount hutches are your best bet. They typically rest atop credenzas, your bolt directly into the wall.
The Best Brands:
Not all storage products are created equal. You need to be aware of cheap imitations and knock off items that aren't built to last. We recommend selecting organizing products from a reputable manufacturer you can trust. This year, you can't go wrong with industry leaders like Mayline, Global Total Office, OFM, and Cherryman Industries. Their selection, pricing, and quality is truly top notch.
Basic Organizing Tips:
- Organize your file drawers every Friday afternoon before leaving work to ensure you return to the office on Monday ready to roll!
- Keep file cabinet keys in a safe place. There's nothing worse than having to break into your own cabinets.
- Don't forget to clean up and organize your digital files once a month. Saving old unnecessary documents on your computer will eat up a ton of storage space.
- Ensure your most regularly used files are located in the cabinet closet to your desk.
- Keep stationary items in a centralized location.
- Color code and label the files that hold your important documents.